Wednesday, September 5, 2007

New term, new apartment, new ... blog?

At the behest of one of my good friends, I have started a blog.
I don't have much to say that is interesting. But I know that at least one person is reading, and so that makes me feel better.
I get inspired by cool blogs a lot. My old boss at Abella was always looking at her sister-in-law's blog... she wrote fun stuff. Made me want to start one. And now here I am. But it's because of Alisse, not my old boss's brother's wife's blog (now, that was fun and confusing).

Anyhow. Yesterday was the first day of school. This, my last and final semester at BYU (amen, halllelujah) I am taking:
Historical-Comparative Linguistics
Senior Seminar (in linguistics, my major)
Italian Advanced Composition
Technical Writing
Physical Science 100 (oh yeah, baby, with all the freshmen)
Some religion class (I'm dropping the one I'm currently in... it's more work than my 3 credit classes! Bah, I hate religion classes, for the most part)
SCUBA diving... at least I hope. I may not be able to scuba dive 'cause I have asthma. Asthma blows. Hah!

So my Historical-Comparative Linguistics professor is like all linguistic professors... very smart, VERY quirky. She picked an inspirational poem for this semester. It's by Emily Dickinson:

"I heard, as if I had no Ear
Until a Vital Word
Came all the way from Life to me
And then I knew I heard.

I saw, as if my Eye were on
Another, till a Thing
And now I know 'twas Light, because
It fitted them, came In.

I dwelt, as if Myself were out,
My Body but within
Until a Might detected me
And set my kernel in.

And spirit turned unto the Dust
'Old Friend, thou knowest me,'
And Time went out to tell the News
And met Eternity."

A pretty cool poem. Not quite sure what it has to do with Historical-Comparative Linguistics (which is about rebuilding dead languages, essentially) but it's a cool poem. HOWEVER, my professor had us sing it to the tune of "If You Could Hie to Kolob". It actually fit perfectly. But why did she think of singing it to any tune? And after we were done, she told us she had goose bumps on her legs, and not her arms, and wasn't that weird?

Now when I read that poem, in my head I sing it to the tune of "If You Could Hie... "
Oh yes, it will be a fun semester.

4 comments:

Alisse Baldwin said...

YAY! YAY! YAY!

I knew I could get you to do anything..aftreall, you ARE my biotch.

Ok, seriously- keep this updated and put lots of pictures of you and Kurt-face. I'm giving you a shout out on my blog... watch for it in the next couple of days!

Love you!

-Your one, true Lesbian Lover.

Alisse Baldwin said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you... Mere-buddy, Tiffany Migdat, Darien all have blogs. Go to Meredith's off mine, and then she has links to everyone.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that creating a new blog should bring forth a litany of profanity and vulgar language from one of your....friends.

The blog has a great look and I really dig the title. (I didn't know you titled blogs - I thought they were simply 'X's Blog' or something like that, but the title thing works, it really works!

And, your lingual prof seems as zany a gal as there ever could be at the BY! I'm sure you two will get along famously!!

Your anon friend and blog-fan

Alisse Baldwin said...

I have an idea for your next blog post: wedding pictures! I still have not seen any besides that tiny one on the side of your blog.