Thursday, May 20, 2010

Freedom

I got the best news yesterday.
No, I'm not pregnant.
I've made mention on here about the weight one of my meds made me gain.
25 pounds.
TWENTY FIVE FREAKING POUNDS.
In four months, might I add.
I've been struggling and struggling to lose it, but I've only managed 9 pounds so far.
I complained about it to my therapist, who suggested I just lose a total of 15 pounds (which puts me at 10 pounds over my pre-medication weight) and just maintain that.
I decided I could do it.
But it made me sad to think about the skirts and shorts that would never fit me again.
(And to think I'd never get down to that weight again.)
Well, I met with my doctor yesterday.
Who wasn't so alarmed about my weight gain
(she said I look fit and strong)
until I mentioned how much my fat percentage has increase.
She didn't like that at all.
And so, starting June 14th, I go off Zyprexa and start Saphris.
They're in the same drug class, but Saphris, while generally causing weight gain, only causes an average increase of 2 pounds per year.
As opposed to Zyprexa, which causes an average of 25 pounds.
There's no guarantee this med will work as well for me (mentally speaking) as Zyprexa,
but it's worth a shot.
Yesterday as I drove home,
I nearly cried from the relief I experienced.
It felt like Christmas.

5 comments:

Jayci said...

That would be Christmas for me, too. What a lame side affect to medication!! Don't worry.. I'm sure you're still LOVELY!!

Megan and Jonny said...

You're not pregnant yet? Come on Kris, your biological clock is ticking away! (laughing to myself) Are you the watched pot in your ward?

I hope this medicine works for you! I know how you feel about those outfits you won't fit in again--I still have trouble accepting the fact that, guess what? I had a baby. My body will never be the same as it was in high school/college. And that really bothers me. But it's worth it in the end, right? For you, too, I hope!

M said...

25 pounds and that is normal for a drug, crazy! I'm glad you are able to get off it.You still are beautiful, though. I hate looking at my clothes that I can't fit in to too.

Anonymous said...

We are happy for you!! You deserve good things.

Debbie said...

Oh I am so happy for you! That must be such a huge relief and blessing. Good luck with Saphris!