Monday, August 22, 2011

Kitchen Wars: Well Tile Me Up and Slap Me Pretty

     Yeah, I have no idea where that title came from earlier. I'm weird; roll with it.
     So, back splash time! We knew pretty early on we wanted a subway tile back splash. There were a moments of uncertainty, but in the end we both loved the classic and simple look. For a day or two we worried the subway tile and bead board would be too much texture and would compete with each other, but decided they wouldn't. Now that they're both up, we're glad to see we were right. Why? Because they're both a) classic "patterns" and b) white. And there's only one place where they meet. AND I like the play of horizontal lines vs. vertical ones.
     We considered hiring this out because Kurt had heard from someone that doing tile was tricky. We priced out Home Depot and they told us $300 to $400. Then a lot of other, smarter people told Kurt that tile is easy. So guess what? All in all, including a tile saw, we spent about $150 in supplies. It took Kurt a little bit of time, but it wasn't that tricky (you know I was writing during all this!). And it looks FANTASTIC!! I love it so much. Do I say that about everything in our kitchen? Probably. Because it's true. 

Next up: paint!

Date: Ohhh, the last few weeks.


1 comment:

Jayci said...

it looks so professional!! i loooove it!! Well done, Kurt! Oh I want to have it in MY kitchen now... :)