Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lotoja Yet Again

The Kurtstanimal did the Lotoja again this year. I supported him (at 34 weeks preggers!) and we avoided any trips to the hospital! In fact, despite a flat tire, Kurt ROCKED it--meeting his goal of sub 10 hours (total time 9 hours and 49 minutes) and getting 17th out of his group of 50 (he raced up a cat this year, which means the guys he raced with this year are faster than the guys from last year ... the winning time in his cat this year was 9 hours and 6 minutes, I think. It was an insanely fast year).
So, we returned from Seattle on Wednesday morning. Collin flew in that night, and the next afternoon, we drove to Utah. We stopped in Laramie to get him some Rocky Mountain Oysters, which he ate willingly. We got to my grandma's around 2 am on Thursday, then had to take Collin to Ogden at 8:40 the next morning to catch the bus up to BYUI. Kurt spent the day doing Lotoja things and I spent the day shopping with my grandma (of course). We were up bright and early on Saturday morning, leaving the house at 4:40! Kurt's mom joined me in Afton. The drive was really nice and I was so organized and on top of things as Kurt's support. Way to go, me! Oh yeah, and Kurt was awesome fast too. He got a flat just outside of Afton, but luckily the wheel truck was close by to swap him out (but I had to run back to the radio guys to send the wheel truck to him--have I mentioned that I'm awesome yet? Because I am). It was super hot on Saturday--I caught 85 degrees on our car thermometer! We drove by a wildfire just outside of Jackson, which was pretty nuts and of course I got pictures. When Kurt finished, we had to stick around for a bit to wait for his wheels to return. The three of us stayed in Jackson that night, and headed over to Teton National Park for the morning. Kurt and his mom hiked to Hidden Falls while I took a nap in the car. I was probably more tired than Kurt! Then we drove home, arriving around 10:30. And now we are DONE with traveling for the foreseeable future! Right now that makes me happy, because I'm pooped, but I know I'll get the itch later this winter--as I always do. What can I say? I have the wanderlust.
I'm so proud of Kurt. At 31, he's in the best shape of his life, and says he hasn't weighed this little since middle school. Yeah, cycling takes up a lot of his time (and mine too, often) but he loves it and it keeps him healthy, so I'm all for it! 
 Gotta love those Tetons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kurt! Sounds like a great trip, all but the eating....