Friday, October 26, 2012

I done had myself a kid.

Lincoln Emory
Born October 19, 2012
6:07 pm
21.5 inches long
7 pounds 14.8 ounces

I'm not going to post the whole birth story here, mostly because I'm sure the general reader doesn't care about all the technical labor details. (I am going to write it in my personal journal, because I want to remember as much of that day as I can.) So here's the gist:

On Monday, the 15th, I had my final prenatal appointment. I was due on the 16th and my mom was flying in on the 20th, so I asked the doctor if I could be induced on the 19th. However, I really didn't want to be induced. Most people I know who've been induced haven't had good labor experiences--pitocin made it much harder and more painful for them. So, I tried lots of things to "encourage" him to come on his own before then. Nothing doing. On Thursday morning, I woke up and felt okay about the induction. Kurt and I got a lot done that day. I took a sleeping pill and went to bed early that night. Friday morning, we woke up early and headed to the hospital at 7:30. I was a little nervous, but tried to remain calm. 
At 9, they gave me pitocin to get things started, and around 10 labor started. Things progressed relatively slowly until 3, when I asked for the epidural. After that, with my body able to relax and allow the contractions do their job, it sped up considerably, and 3 hours later, at 6:07 pm, Lincoln was born.
My labor and delivery experience was so uncomplicated and smooth and I couldn't be more grateful. Did it hurt? Of course it did. Am I ready to do it again? Not tomorrow, but in a couple of years. The moment they placed him in my arms made all 8 hours and 9 months (and 3 days) worth it. Lincoln is an absolute joy and we are completely in love. Not only does he look like his dad (who adores him), but he also has his dad's mellow, even-tempered personality. So far not living up to his nickname Turbo--but I'm okay with that.
Time for pictures. Yay!
 I just love this picture.

Heading home from the hospital.

His "Turbo" onesie, made by a friend. Although it looks like it says "Urb" in this picture, which wouldn't make much sense.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

He is so beautiful, Kris. Congrats! :D

MelancholySmile said...

Congrats! That's so exciting! Having a child is such a life altering experience-- wonderful and terrifying and difficult and amazing all at the same time. You and Kurt are going to be great parents!

Debbie said...

He is so adorable! Congrats again to you guys! I've been wanting to comment for a while and never find the right moment. I've been thinking about you guys...I hope you are hanging in there during the hermit newborn phase. It is a tough time. They are so precious but so much work. Those picture are great...you guys look like naturals. :)

hillary work said...

congrats again!!! so cute