Thursday, February 14, 2013

Indulge Me While I Write about Love on Valentine's Day


One of my Visiting Teachers asked me recently what my favorite thing about being a parent is.
I thought for a moment, then answered, "It really is a fullness of joy."
The Gospel teaches us that families are eternal and that having children is a commandment from the Lord. It also promises us that doing so will bring us a fullness of joy.
The happiest day of my life was and always will be the day I was sealed to Kurt for time and all eternity. When I married him, and up until Lincoln was born, I never felt like our love was lacking anything. It didn't feel flat or less in any way. Looking back, I still don't think it was.
And yet, when Lincoln entered our lives (the second happiest day of my life), our love was magnified a hundred times. It truly became full. Complete.
In December, while at Costco, an older man came up to Kurt (who was holding Lincoln while I bought us some hot dogs) to ask about Lincoln. I walked up as Kurt was telling the man about Lincoln--his name, age, etc. He proceeded to tell us what a beautiful family we are, and what a wonderful thing we have. But what he said that stuck out to me the most was how wonderful this little baby is that came about because of our love.
I was thinking about that man the other day and what he said, and it struck me how perfectly the Lord created marriage. The ultimate expression of love between a husband and wife is also what creates children, who bring a fullness of joy to the couple. It is a beautiful, complete circle. The Lord truly loves us and has our happiness in mind--and always has.
The love I have for Lincoln is different in many ways from that which I have for Kurt. In many ways it's instinctive. I am wired to love and care for this child, put his safety and well-being ahead of my own. I didn't have to get to know him before loving him. While I would sacrifice my life for Kurt's as well, that love wasn't so biological. I had to know Kurt before I could love him. (Though I definitely thought he was cute the first time I saw him. ^_^) My love for Lincoln isn't purely biological of course, as I've grown to love him more and more every day.
Love is a powerful force. There are only three people I love more than Lincoln. Kurt is one, and there are only two people I love more than him. My Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. This is such a perfect, divine plan, and the family is at the very core of it. I am eternally grateful for families and that they are eternal.
In closing, a quote I saw on Pinterest (of course ;):
A baby will make love stronger,
days shorter,
nights longer,
bankroll smaller,
home happier,
clothes shabbier,
the past forgotten
and the future worth living for.
-Author Unknown

No comments: