Wednesday, April 2, 2008

La Cognata

Once upon a time my brother fell in love with a girl. He brought her home shortly after that and we did too. Her name was Amanda Marie Alleman, Mandi, and her birthday is April 2.

Mandi is freakin' great. When Ryan brought her home summer of '03 for us to meet her, I felt this need to entertain her constantly. I mean, I was always trying to be funny. When they were leaving for the airport, she told me, "Kristina, I just want to take you home and put you on my shelf so you can make me laugh all the time!"

She's got a great sense of humor (obviously... she thinks I'm funny, after all ;) ) and she has the best laugh. I don't know how to describe it, but when Mandi laughs at something you can tell she's really entertained. It's infectious.

She's the mother to the cutest little boy you've ever seen! And she's such a good mom--seriously, Mandi, you are so good with Chris. Not to mention how smart he is--which he gets as much from Mandi as much as Ryan. The three of them are such a cute family, and everyone is so excited for the next little boy, coming in July!!!

Here are some pictures of Mandi being an awesome Mom:



PS--she looks great in apple green.

Mandi's full of surprises. She did her hair all by herself for my wedding and it looked so pretty! She has great taste in movies (ahem, Once and Love, Actually) and TV shows (Arrested Development). She puts up with my family. Where my family is crazy and emotional, she's so stable and levelheaded, and yet still a ton of fun. She is the perfect match to my brother. Steph, them, and I hung out all the time my sophomore year and I remember going over to their house in the evenings on week nights and she'd be cooking dinner and I thought (and still do) it was so cool that she did that. Whenever I actually cook dinner on week nights, I think about that.

Mandi is a huge example to me. I've told her before how much I look up to her, but I don't think I could really explain just how much.

One of my favorite stories Mandi has told me about herself: Before she and Ryan started dating, she decided she was going to go on at least one date every month, even if it meant that she had to ask a guy out to meet that goal. Well, that's how her and Ryan's first date happened. And I'm so glad she had the guts to ask him out!

Mandi, I freaking love you!!! I'm so glad you're in our family. (I hope it's reciprocal ;) ).

Happy Birthday Mandi!!!

2 comments:

Mandi said...

It is definitely reciprocal! Thanks for this post - it really means a lot to me. I miss you so much - I really would like to see you guys more often.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Mandi, you are Super-Freaker!