Saturday, October 25, 2008

Queen of Shiba

Hi everyone,
I know you've been holding your breath to know what kind of dog we're going to get. Well, we still can't get one until we move from this apartment, but we've pretty much decided what breed. "But Kristina," you say incredulously, "you have such a short attention span! And you're incredibly indecisive!" Well, to that I say, you're right, but I've fallen in love with this breed completely. I liked it the first time I saw a picture of it, and then last week we were at the mall and of course had to stop by the pet store, and they happened to have a few puppies of that breed. I asked to hold one and Kurt and I were hooked. Her cute little fox face and curled tail convinced that what we want is a Shiba Inu! I've been doing lots of research about this amazing breed, and I'm very excited about our future dog. Here's a little something about them from the National Shiba Club of America:
"The Japanese have three words to describe the Shiba temperament. The first is 'kan-i' which is bravery and boldness combined with composure and mental strength. The opposite side of 'kan-i' is 'ryosei' which means good nature with a gentle disposition. One cannot exist without the other. The charming side of the Shiba is 'sobuku' which is artlessness with a refined and open spirit. They combine to make a personality that Shiba owners can only describe as 'irresistible.'"
This is a truly special breed. I'm so excited I've already been thinking of names.
Here's a few pictures of Shibas (they actually come in cream, red sesame, and black and tan as well but we want a red shiba):






[I added the "pretty much decided" after I first did this post. Kurt informed me that he's pretty sure, but it's still in the air between a Shiba and a Finnish Spitz. I, however, have decided. :D]

1 comment:

Debbie said...

What a cute dog! It has my vote as your future pet!