Now, I'm pretty sure that's from a movie. I swear, I have a memory of someone in a movie saying that. After someone else said, "It's curtains for (someone)." Does that sound familiar to anyone? Or am I crazy? (Don't answer that second question.)
So, I've been thinking about the window treatments for our kitchen. We have three, completely square, 34x34 inch windows in the kitchen. And then the window on the door too. Now all of the regular windows have blinds, but not the door. This is important because we get crazy sun on that side of the house in the afternoon. West facing windows + no big trees in our backyard + super intense Denver sun = WHOA MAMA. I love that sun for the light and the warmth in the winter. In the summer? Not so much. Especially since we don't have central a.c.
I like to visit Joann about every week (which is easy since it's 2 minutes from my house). I would NEVER buy $50 a yard fabric for curtains. No way, jose. (I guess, maybe one day if we're filthy rich, but even then i doubt it.) But I did spy this fabric on sale for half off $20, plus I had an extra 20% coupon (sign up for Joann emails if you haven't already!):
It is pure perfection, let me tell you! First off: the design is TOTALLY my style. Second: GREEN and GRAY! Third: ummm, I just love it. But here's the funny thing about this fabric: it's indoor/outdoor canvas. So it's somewhat stiff. That obviously ruled out a lot of different window treatments (though I'd already ruled out drapes because two of the windows are above a counter).
First I was thinking fake roman shades on the windows and working a working roman shade on the door (since we need to be able to cover it up). But I decided that wouldn't work because even fake roman shades would cover up too much of the windows. See, I like the light (have I mentioned that already?). And the blinds effectively block it out when needed. So I want to be able to see out the windows as much as possible the rest of the time.
I did some digging around and came up with these two options for the windows:
From Budget Wise Home.com
The first one is more my style. I love the little bow, and I think I could accomplish this without sewing (and with the help of hem tape) pretty easily. But the bottom one is SO easy (click the link to see!). And it would show more of the window.
But I love the pleats on the first one. And I could hang the curtain (a bit) higher than the window frame.
But the second one would take me like 30 minutes per window to do.
So, what do you think?
And for the door window, I'm thinking some kind of roller-type shade, like this:
Let me know your thoughts! And here's a reminder of the windows:




No comments:
Post a Comment