Thursday, February 2, 2012

Still Working...

Remember this post? Yeah, I definitely failed on that. I didn't even finish the first project--painting the kitchen. I completely underestimated how much work getting ready for my last residency was going to be. Plus, I was trying to write every day, and then I traveled once a week for 4 weeks straight. So yeah, I got busy and slacked off!
The other night, while waiting the usual one-to-two hours to fall asleep, I ran through my mind all the changes I know that I'm definitely going to do or I'm seriously considering doing in my house. The list is long. Really long. And, being the scatterbrained messy creative person I am, my tendency would be to jump around from room to room. After watching my friend Lindsay's significant progress in her 31 Days of Finishing Rooms series, I realized it would be best to "finish" a room, before moving to the next. Now, I don't mean completely completely finishing the room. But all of the projects I currently have planned for that room. I'm not going to plan on spending every day working on my home, because I just got a new job. It's just part time--20 hours a week--but when I come home, I want to spend at least two hours a day writing (if not more). Plus, I'm trying to keep my house clean, and I have to work out, and spend time with Kurt. So you can see how these projects--while important--are not at the top of my list. But I want to make significant progress before summer comes. 
I've got to be organized about this. So I'm scheduling my rooms:
1) Kitchen
2) Master bedroom
3) Guest bedroom
4) Living room
5) Bathroom

Some notes: Living Room may trump Guest Bedroom, if I feel the urge or need. Bathroom could trump all of those, because I really only want to paint it, and it's a tiny room, so that will take me two days. (One day for first coat, a second day for second coat)

I'll post when I start/finish each room. And when I start a room, I'll layout my planned projects.
KITCHEN
-Finish painting trim (this includes buying kickboards for the lower cabinets and moulding for one of the upper cabinets)
-Make curtains for windows and door
-Repaint white walls
-Build trash/recycling bin
-Paint and upholster round stools
-Buy and possibly paint two comfort mats for the kitchen. My feet kill after a few hours in the kitchen (and I want to start write while standing up=better for my back).

So yeah, it's not like the kitchen has a ton that needs to be done right now. It honestly shouldn't take me very long. I'm thinking it'll be about three or four days to finish the trim (break it up into two halves, two days for each half, unless I get lucky and can paint the second coat on the first half and the first coat on the second half in the same day).
It should also be noted that there are some projects I might do out of order, such as building my trash/recycling bin. The reason for that is I have to wait until a Saturday when all the snow is gone from the backyard and Kurt is around to help me with the table saw. So, that project might have to wait for a few months.

No comments: