I thought I'd jot down what's going on in the bipolar department here at chez Kristina.
Lincoln has been on formula for almost 7 weeks. The difference is like black and white. While I miss breastfeeding and its many benefits, the benefits of bottle feeding far outweigh those of breastfeeding. Lincoln went from 5 hour stretches at night to 6-8 (most of the time). Kurt can feed Lincoln for me, which has allowed me more sleep and some time out of the house for more than an hour.
But the biggest difference has been the fact that I'm back on my meds. And really, I mean med. Due to our family plans, I told my doctor I only want to be on lamotrigine (which is an upper, basically). During the breastfeeding days, anxiety and depression were my greatest problems. Lamotrigine has effectively squashed the depression (most days). To handle anxiety, I use a doTerra essential oil, specifically Balance. It helps with the racing thoughts as well, which is nice. And lastly, for mood stabilization, I take fish oil (three huge pills a day ... not fun). I don't take anything for psychosis, but honestly I don't need to because I'm always aware that my psychosis is just that. No breaks from reality for me (so far in my life).
This sounds like a hodge podge of treatments--and, certainly, it is--but it's working so far. I feel as good as I remember being on my meds.
My insomnia's pretty bad right now, but I use doTerra's Serenity essential oil. Lavender works too, but I find it leaves me with a hangover in the morning and Serenity doesn't. (By the way, I'm a total essential oils convert.)
Add exercise, an adequate amount of sleep (5-6 hours a night), healthy eating, and a regular bedtime/wake up schedule and I feel like a new woman. Those postpartum days, though there were many sweet and happy moments, feel like the distant dark ages. There's no more endless crying and feelings of hopelessness. Oh sure, I still have yet to go a week without tears and frustration, but it's a more healthy amount. I still have days when I'm depressed, or nights when I'm paralyzed by anxiety, or days of out-of-control hypomania, but those are few and far between.
Thank goodness for modern medicine and alternative treatments. :)
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You are awesome! And that could be the end of the story....but we just got to UT at the beginning of the month. We are actually staying at Swami's moms in Draper with the hopes of buying a house once we figure out income, etc. Let me know when you come because I have to meet that sweet little babe of yours!
Good news! I'll make sure Caro reads this so she knows her tears will slow down! Newborn hormones are tough to beat! Love the pics of Lincoln- he's a happy boy! love you
So glad to hear you're having more good days than bad! I've wondered about essential oils. Some day I need to give them a try.
Post a Comment