In my years at BYU/in Provo I've learned that there are good things that only Provo has. This year in particular, I have 4 new favorites. And since Kurt and I are such fatties (or would be if we weren't gym nuts! Oh wait, we still are. Dang it!), they're all food. And they're usually the wager for our many bets.
Favorite #1 -- Oatmeal Cookie Batter Ice cream @ Coldstone
Kurt first introduced me to this ice cream of the gods last year. It's amazing. We get a Gotta Have It size (oh yes, you know it) and put graham cracker crust in it. The result? Pure heaven. I think we'll eat this stuff in the Celestial Kingdom.
Favorite #2 -- the Cafe Rio salad @ Cafe Rio
For years, my favorite at Cafe Rio was the chicken burrito cooked enchilada style with mild sauce, pinto beans, and hold the salsa. That's all I EVER got. For 4 years. I'd always heard the salads were good, but here's the thing... I'm a lard and don't generally like salads. One day, feeling particularly fat and sassy--right after we got back from NY and really were fat and sassy--I finally decided to try the Cafe Rio salad. I will never go back to the burrito! The Cafe Rio salad is pure perfection. Here's how I like it: chicken, pinto beans, lettuce, cilantro, freshly squeezes lime, guacamole, crispy strips and NO salsa. OH! And I could NEVER forget the house dressing--creamy tomatillo sauce. When Kurt and I aren't feeling very hungry, we split it. Combined with the yummy cheesy tortilla they put under the salad, it's the perfect amount of food. Oisii!! (that's Japanese for delicious)
Favorite #3 -- White Hot Chocolate @ Juice 'n Java
Kurt and I think that Juice 'n Java is where every non-member in Provo hang out (especially the emo children) but more members need to know about their AMAZING White Hot Chocolate. I'm not even a big fan of white chocolate, but this! This is pure creamy goodness! It's wonderful. I've heard their Mexican hot chocolate is pretty dang good too, but I'm too stuck on the wonder that is White Hot Chocolate. Warning: it's comes destroy-your-mouth hot.
Favorite #4 -- Tiger's Blood Snow Cone @ Ella Good
Unfortunately, due to Utah's climate, we haven't had this since Ella Good closed for the winter in September. Ella Good is a student-run snow cone shack that makes real Hawaiian-style shaved ice. It's amazing. It's like eating flavored snow (that is, not yellow flavored snow...). ANYHOW. Kurt and I are big fans of the Tiger's Blood flavor--coconut, watermelon, and strawberry. We get the large (each, of course!) and put a shot of half 'n half on there (I usually got a double shot...). So good! Especially when Utah was blistering hot when we first got back. The sad part is, they might not open Ella Good next summer which would be a TRAGEDY.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Those make me hungry to read! I've never heard of Juice n Java (or was it Java n Juice?) but i love white hot chocolate and I'll have to try that.
And wait, we saw you guys in NY and you were neither fat not sassy!
Lastly, look at my blog. I tagged you!!
Oh K-tina,
You don't even know what it's like to be fat & sassy. Ok, you DO know sassy, but not the extreme-weight-gain-and-don't-really-care-because-we-like-food part of fat & sassy.
Oh, and if my husband could, he'd marry Cold Stone.
Umm...some of those food names scare me....I think tonight I may dream of white hot tigers, sitting on cold stones and dripping with some twisted flavor of chocolate tomatillo sauce while dos enchiladas dance the tango with a couple of chile rellenos, amid the falling lettuce strips, the forgotten and forlorned burritos weeping sad songs in Japanese, ...or something like that....and I will lay the blame on Ella, the shave ice enchantress.
But, even if I do, we'll still have to try your fave treats the next time we're out there!!
Dad
It is not nice to tease a fat old man who is in a land where he can not have any of the goodies you described so well!
Dad Too
Post a Comment