Tuesday, March 25, 2008

If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere...

So... I realized I haven't done a post on the Big Apple yet. How could I forget! Making this post has made me so sad.... I really, really love New York. If it wasn't for a) money and b) living with small kids in a tiny apartment without a car, then Kurt and I would have lived there. I think we still will, one day when our kids are big and we have lots of money, if we can. I know I'm from small Southern town, USA, but New York is a very special place. I wish I had explored it more. Anyhow, here are some of our pictures. They're roughly in chronological order. If I can find pictures of our trip to the Brooklyn Zoo, I'll post them. I believe they're on my computer or Kurt's. (I'm posting this at work. And to answer your question, Alisse, I usually bring my memory card to work, upload the pictures, then go home and fill in the blankets because my internet is too slow for uploading pics.) If you think Kurt and I look chubby, don't worry it's no optical illusion. Kurt and I were very chubby in the Big Onion because all we did was eat and walk, and the walking didn't seem to do much in the calorie-burning area.


One of our first days sightseeing in New York. This is right off of Wall Street. We got pictures of Wall Street and the Golden Bull (not on Wall Street, but still in the financial center of town) but our friends took them with their camera because ours died shortly after this picture. I need to get those pictures!





One day we decided to take a trip across the harbor on the Staten Island Ferry. The trip was really nice, especially to get out of the urban jungle for the first time in weeks. When we got to Staten Island we turned around and came back home. Good thing the ferry is free.




Central Park is absolutely my favorite part of NY! I loved, loved, loved it! On Saturdays all the Jews would be out in the meadows picknicking and on Sunday afternoons the mall was full of music groups and skaters. If you're wondering whether rollerblading is still cool, the answer is YES, in NY it is still very cool. You probably recognize this bridge... it's in I don't even know how many movies, example Spiderman 3 (where Mary Jane breaks up with Peter).


Columbus Circle. I think it's funny how our camera couldn't pick up the endless skyline of buildings behind us. If you could see the statue over Kurt's right shoulder well enough, you'd recognize it. If you've seen Cloverfield, this is where the chick they're rescuing lives. Not this building, but this area.


On top of the Empire State Building. If you go to this awesome tourist trap, I have a suggestion: go to the 102nd (or something like that) floor. It's $15 extra but SO worth it. You beat the crowd that's on the 86th floor so you can actually see the view! And quiet and uncrowdedness are not common things in public in NY.


The good ole 1/2/3 line home. We rode this multiple times a day.



Kurt and I scored student tickets to see my friend Josh Strickland as Broadway's Tarzan. Unfortunately, he was gone for the weekend and so we saw his understudy instead. Good thing we only paid $20 for it!



The Metropolitan Musem of Art. I loved this musem! You need multiple days to see all of the permanent exhibits and they rotate exhibits so you could never see everything there! Kurt and I spent two full days there and still didn't see everything. But we saw a bunch of Rodin, which I LOVE. And they had Kurt's favorite Van Gogh there... I forget what it's called. Oh, and you'll probably recognize the first picture from one of two movies... one is old, one is new. Take a guess!



July 4th on Coney Island! We saw Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, which was disgustingly irresistible to watch. And pulled in thousands of spectators. Coney Island is really fun, and sadly, decrepit. It's right on the beach, but it was down right cold that day. The only cold day the whole summer. Dang.


The beautiful Brooklyn bridge. As much as I love the old and new Cooper River bridges, this bridge is pretty amazing. I don't even know how many times we walked over it.



Grimaldi's pizza, the best pizza in New York. Possibly in the world. We tried it with Mark and Alicia (above) on July 4th, fell in love, then went back alone, with friends Sarah and Jeff (below), and with my dad. And possibly alone another time too. :D Unfortunately, my pictures of Grimaldi's (and Brooklyn Bridge) with my dad were damaged. Dad, do you have copies you could email me, please?



Kurt worked about a block from the famous branch of the NY library, you know, the one in Ghostbusters II. Right next to it was Bryant Park, which hosted all kinds of events. One was on Monday nights HBO would show an old movie on a huge projector screen. This is us melting as we wait to watch Wait Until Dark. Unforunately, waiting until dark for us didn't bring any coolness at all. That was the hottest night of my life and I had been there since 5. I believe I sweat my entire body weight that day.


The American Museum of Natural History, or something like that. It's the museum from Night at the Museum and they didn't show even a 1/3 of the entire museum in that movie. This is another museum you could spend an entire day in and not see all of it. I know because that happened to us (but we didn't go a second time).


Dinosaur BBQ, the best bbq joint in New York. Located in east Harlem, it was only about 2 blocks north of us. We went there multiple times too!


Another trip to Coney Island. This time we rode the two famous rides there, the Wonder Wheel and the rollercoaster... I forgot it's name. I can't find my picture of the rollercoaster. Both are OLD and rickety.... I've never been afraid on a ferris wheel before. But after 80 or so years there's never been an injury. And there never will be, because they're tearing it down. Oh, this is what the two characters are on at the end of Cloverfield.



Phantom of the Opera!!!! One word: amazing. That's all there is to say.



Our last full day in NY! So sad! My dad came up for the night. Kurt was in Florida that morning, and so my dad and I drove around the Upper West Side... that was a new experience for me! Lol, but seriously, it was my first time to see much of the upper west side... we always rode the subway and didn't explore beyond Broadway/Columbia much. Riverside Drive is beautiful!! And my dad got to the see the Manhattan Temple, where Kurt and I worked on Wednesday nights in the baptistry and also where we went to church. Then we went back to our apartment, just as Kurt got home, and headed over to Grimaldi's. Walked Brooklyn bridge one last time, and headed home. The next day we took my dad to Dinosaur BBQ and he took us to the airport. It was probably my favorite 24 hours in NY. Thanks for coming Dad!!! :)

5 comments:

Jessica and Reece said...

You? Chubby? Puh-leese! I share your love of NYC- I interned there for two summers before I got married. I would KILL to live there, but I hear you on the expensive, tricky-to-raise-kids-there statement. Perhaps we will retire in the upper east side brownstone next door to yours :)

Sarah said...

love the pictures. Makes me think all about the summer. How cool that you guys got to be in NY. Jeff and I had a blast in DC and we someday want to go back to Grimaldi's pizza! We couldn't for the life of us remember the name of the popular pizzeria but after awhile of googling finally ran across the name.

So glad you got all of those pictures! Although you guys won't be living there again anytime soon, I'm sure you'll find time to visit...

jeff said...

A few notes:

If YOU'RE worried people will find you chubby in these pictures, there's no way I'm ever putting up another photo of myself on my blog.

The roller coaster is called the Cyclone; I like it a lot. Coney Island was given at least a one-year reprieve, so I'm hoping to make it out there before I leave.

Raising kids in Manhattan would be difficult, but certainly not impossible. Or you could live in White Plains or something.

At first I thought you said the higher floor of Empire was $15 extra but $0 worth it. Oops.

I think we're agreed that New York is pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

It was my favorite 24 hours in NYC too!!


Dad

Allison said...

love the pictures kristina! I need to put ours up from this summer, too! Is Kurt's favorite Van Gogh painting, Starry Night? I believe that's the one in NY...let me know.

You guys don't look chubby at all. But, I'm glad you put that disclaimer on your blog because it gave me a good chuckle!!