5:30 pm July 3rd, 2008: the madness begins...
First of all, it was not my intention to create such strong feelings of suspense in my readers, and for that I apologize... sort of. Our July 4th began with a pancake breakfast/viewing party of the famous Provo parade. People here are absolutely crazy about this. They camped out all day and all night before and I've never seen University Avenue so crazy at 12 am. The next morning Kurt and I woke up bright and early to find out that the parade-fanatics had woken up even brighter and earlier. And we discovered, while starting our breakfast prep, that there was a pre-parade parade! This mostly consisted of all the karate/comic book nerds that can't play in a marching band, make pretty floats, or win beauty contests. But, as I said earlier, the Provo parade is famous ... even intergalactically famous.
And it repairs broken bonds! Obi Wan Keno be and Darth Vader came out from their far, far away galaxy to watch this humble parade and were able to walk side-by-side like old friends. Aww.
Making pancakes. Yes, pumpkins are a symbol of Independence Day as well as Halloween and Thanksgiving...
Kurt's friend Nick Sibert, his wife Deb, and her sister Vanessa (I'm pretty sure), who is holding Nick and Deb's son Toby.

Tiff and Greg Winder, always the life of the party.

I'm cooking, Kurt is eating... I fear that this will become a pattern of our life in the future
Then the parade started in earnest. Here are my highlights:
Another celebrity: Glenn Beck! See, he's waving at me.
Things you only see in Utah parades: an Institute float with the theme of temple marriage
Go Cougs!!!
Babaar!
Things you only see in Utah parades: dozens of missionaries
Things you only see in Utah parades: people on segways
After the parade Kurt and I decided to take a nap (and a picture) to rest up for our afternoon/nighttime activities... stay tuned to find out what they were!

5 comments:
Lol! Utah parades crack me up. I don't have patience for parades unless they're throwing full size candy bars from the floats. I haven't found one like that yet. :)
I recognize that pumpkin spatula, and those dishes, and that electric grill thingy! Nice! Glad you had fun! the 4th is an awesome holiday!
I had NO IDEA the Provo parade was that intense. No idea. I've never been. Glad you had a good 4th! when do you leave??
A temple marriage float? Seriously? I'm at a loss for words...
I have missed the parade. greg doesn't like parades. i told him it wasn't abuot him-it's about will now...and me, since i like them.we ended up going to sandy parade, which was enough parade for both of us. the fireworks were awesome too!
Post a Comment