Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Overwhelmed and under-specialized

I've been thinking lately I'd like to be an editor. I thought it would be a good career path for me, especially considering my love of writing (and my plans to write books one day). I also thought it might be possible for me to do it with kids ... I'm beginning to think not so much. Here's what I read today: (from BYU's vault online career library)

"The long road

The pay is low to start, the hours are long, the competition is stiff, and there is no guarantee you will make it all the way to executive editor. Why try to make it as an editor? Those entering the magazine, book or newspaper publishing industries know the pitfalls of the job but recognize them as necessary evils of a labor of love.

Working from the bottom up

The bottom rung of the publishing ladder is the editorial assistant, a glorified secretary to an editor. An assistant takes care of all of the editor's clerical tasks, setting appointments, writing letters, reading and assessing manuscripts, and most of all soaking up the mechanics of the editor's job. Assuming they don't burn out, assistants spend about two years at this level before becoming promoted to assistant editor. Many editors are former writers who have demonstrated an ability to "be the boss" and encourage and motivate people.

Why stick it out? Editors at major book publishing houses get to make stars out of new writers. At the highest level, editors command six-figure salaries and rub elbows with the most famous people in the literary world.

Magazine editors enjoy similar benefits. They dictate the creative direction of a magazine and work with art directors, photographers and writers to execute their vision. The editor-in-chief of a magazine is a full-fledged member of the jet set, with a salary to match.

Newspaper editors, especially those at large dailies like The New York Times, enjoy much of the same prestige as famous magazine editors. Section and managing editors are also treated well, as they are in charge of large amounts of content and employees.

Editors are bibliophiles and workaholics and though they find little time to rest their eyes, they claim to be among the happiest professionals in the world.

Uppers
� Proximity to interesting people
� Abundance of career options
� Free books

Downers
� Low starting salary
� Long hours
� High stress level
� High level of dissatisfaction

Personality Match
� Creative
� Detail-oriented
� Assertive
� Honest
� Bibliophile

Personality Miss
� Disorganized
� Rigid
� Outdoorsy"

I'm getting very depressed that I'll never be able to find a career path that will fit me and my goals. The low salary doesn't bother me, but the long hours does. I want to get my Masters and I want to be a stay at home Mom, but I want to have something that I can do when my kids are grown. I'm getting frustrated ... any suggestions (other than pray about it; I'm already doing that)?

2 comments:

The Starter House said...

you're so great!
I'm in the same position, k-tina! I've been embracing local help with my goals (libraries, people in my ward, my family, etc.)... this is personal...but i suggest getting a blessing, praying about it is great, but blessings can be so revealing and help you know how to prioritize your goals. also, you don't have to be in such a hurry to get all your goals done, patience can be so valuable, because the lord's timing is different than ours. i'm sure you've heard all of this. I love you girl, keep your chin up, have faith that the lord has something great in store for you, even if it's not what you expected or planned on.

Anonymous said...

Follow your heart and it will work out.

Or, you can get a job, any job will do, in the professional arena while continuing with formal education for later opps.

Or, you can call together your group of would-be writers and start editing their work in the hopes you can make it each other famous without the pressure, hype and competing evil-ness of the real publishing/editing world!

Or something different.

It will work out.

Love ya, Climber-Girl.