Friday, February 20, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day! Or something like that...

So, on actual Valentine's Day Kurt and I looked at apartment complexes with his friend Akshay (they want to buy one together) and then that night we ran errands. I felt awful all day. My sockets were throbbing, my stomach was churning. Good thing we'd postponed Valentine's Day festivities.

Now, I don't think you need to go all out on Val's Day. I don't understand getting elaborate gifts like jewelry. But I do love celebrating it--just another excuse to eat well and be romantic. Kurt and I aren't naturally prone to romance, so it's really fun to have a reason. :D

For Valentine's Day, which we celebrated last night, I made my first attempt at steak. And I have to say, it turned out quite well!

First off, I curled my hair:

(the only pic I took that night, thanks to a dead battery immediately after this shot)

Then I ran to Cheesecake Factory for some to-go slices of heaven. Kurt loves cheesecake, so I thought this would be a fun dessert. I got the lemon raspberry cheesecake and the coconut chocolate cream one. Oh my. Heaven. (Of course, I didn't eat it then.)

Then I ran home and laid down a blanket in the living room with votives in red heart shaped holders. I made strawberry, pear, and spinach salad and garlic mashed potatoes. Then I fried the steaks on the stove top. I slipped into a little black dress (well, not that little, since I can wear it with garments, lol), turned the lights off, lit the candles, took my hair out of the rollers, and turned on some romantic music. Kurt got there right as I put the second steak in the pan and chaos broke out for a minute as the room filled with smoke, but despite that both steaks were delicious, tender, and juicy! We had sparkling blueberry pomegranate lemonade from Sunflower Market (highly recommended) and while we were dressed nicely and drinking from champagne flutes, we ended up eating the mashed potatoes and salad straight from their serving bowls. Because, that's who we are. Dinner was delicious, if I do say so myself! And then Kurt surprised me with some slow dancing. Good job, honey! Way to up the romance.

So that was our fun, cozy Valentine's celebrating in. Yay. :)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds so cute! We have a hard time being romantic too. Even when we were newly weds we weren't all that lovey dovey. But seriously, your V-day sounded perfect. I LOVED that Kurt danced with you...you need to have him drop some hints to Nick because Nick never thinks of stuff like that! :)

Unknown said...

always best to stay in. you can be all mushy and not worry about people staring at you. plus, i bet you didn't have to put on high heels or anything. :)

what a HOT date. :) hope your wisdom teeth scokets get better... yikes.