Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kitchen Wars: Sweet, Painted Cabinets

To the tune of Elton John's "Sweet Painted Lady." Actually, no we didn't paint them again, but in a few paragraphs you'll see the wording that inspired that bad parody.
As you saw in the last post, Kurt was moving bottom cabinets into place. So, here they are, mostly installed! As you can see, we took our galley kitchen and made it into a U-shape. Way more counter space--huzzah! We also pushed back the cabinets on the right by a good foot and a half. Still not a large kitchen by any stretch of the imagination, but Kurt and I can walk by each other now without having to squeeze/shimmy our way past. Huzzah again!
As part of our budget-keeping initiative, the only new cabinets we bought were the two corner units and the sink unit. From--you guessed it--Ikea. They don't match exactly, but whatever. Although, apparently now they do have doors that match our other ones, so we'll have to hit those up when Ikea opens in Denver (this fall! Huzzah x3!). I was going to paint the doors so they have the same painted look (see what I did there?) as the rest of the cabinets. Buuuut, since we'll probably get new, matching doors in the fall, I see no reason to. The difference is subtle, so why bother? (Now I have Weezer's "Why Bother" in my head.) Although, it may end up driving me crazy, but we'll see about that. In the meantime, we do have to paint some other cabinets, so I'll probably go ahead and paint the boxes. 


And now, for the fourth time: HUZZAH!

(Date: February 10th, 2011)

No comments: