Well, I technically don't graduate until May, but I have completed all requirements for my Master's degree. Holy moly. I can't believe it. I have accomplished a life-long goal. It's kinda surreal, I'll be honest. Every time I decide to goof off by watching a movie or reading in the tub, I panic for a moment. "I have homework to do!" I think, before I realize that I don't. I experienced a similar sensation when I finished my undergrad (4 years ago!). I had multiple nightmares, too, about showing up to class and finding out there was an exam that I had either missed, or was that day in class and I was completely unprepared for it. So far, no nightmares about grad school, but it's only been a week. (I DID have a dream last night that my older sister got a publishing contract with a major house and no one could understand why it was so depressing to me! haha)
Anyhow, after being home from Washington for 4 days, destroying my house in a whirlwind of frenzied activity, and barely holding on to my sanity, I flew out at 2 am on Tuesday morning (the 3rd). I enjoyed a nice day with my family in Charleston. Then on Wednesday, my dad and I drove up to Tryon for my final residency. (My dad had meetings in Greenville on Thursday, so that's why he drove me.) It was strange arriving in the middle of the residency, after all of the other students had been for almost a full week. It was also strange not attending workshops, but we were still plenty busy. I stayed with my dear friend Lindsay, as usual, and ate WAY too much food, also as usual. I gave my craft lecture on Thursday morning, then my thesis reading on Saturday night before the closing dinner. Kurt flew in on Friday and got to meet Lindsay and her husband, Chris. Because Kurt and Chris need to be best friends because me and Lindsay are and we need to stay in touch forever! And they got along just nicely (like Lindsay and I thought they would!). Then on Saturday, my parents and Collin drove up and they all got to see my thesis reading! Then the dinner, and I had a hard time not crying (which is miraculous that I succeeded). Then we drove back to Charleston that night (late night!), all slept in on Sunday, and enjoyed the amazing 70 degree weather by walking around downtown. Kurt flew out that night. I stayed until Wednesday, helping my mom out in her library and goofing off with my dad and Collin. I'm excited to go back in May to walk!!
I am so grateful for this opportunity. Not only did I gain my Master's degree (fulfilling a lifetime goal), but my writing improved dramatically. I still can't believe it. And I made life-long friends, including Lindsay. I am so lucky to have made such a wonderful friend! Now I need to convince her to move out to Denver. ;)
(okay, so somehow these are in reverse order... my bad)
The graduates!
Talking with my prof, Leslie Pietrzyk
Done!!
Before my reading ... acting goofy, of course
Lindsay and I matched on the first day. (Remember, I got dressed in Charleston that morning and didn't see her till at the Pine Crest Inn, where the residency is held during the winter.)

4 comments:
Congratulations!!
OMGooseness!!! You did it, beautiful! Way to go! What kind of grad gifts are u hoping for?
Congrats!! What a huge accomplishment! Bravo. And this is random but I love all your outfits in the pictures. :)
Haha--thanks Debbie for the compliment on my clothes!
And thanks everyone! :) Mo--my parents bought me a sewing machine, which is pretty great. I'm excited to (learn how to) use it.
Post a Comment