Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt!

And that's true! Friday night Kurt and I went sledding with his former mission companion, Adam, and his wife Melissa. We were really excited to go sledding because Kurt and I had gone Wednesday night and had a blast. I took my camera, but decided I would take pictures at the end of night. For reasons you will learn shortly, there were no pictures taken that night.

We headed over to Provo's Rock Canyon park, a well known sledding spot. When Kurt and I were there on Wednesday night, the snow had just fallen and was still mostly powdery. Friday night was different, though--it hadn't snowed a significant amount since Wednesday and a significant amount of sledding had taken place in the last 2 days. The snow was packed down, hard, and icy.

Rocky Canyon park has a bowl-like shape. From the middle of the park steep hills rise on all sides. This is why it's such a sledding hot spot. It's lit at night, though not terribly well. Not well enough.

After a few runs each in one spot, we migrated across the hill to another. Kurt was the first to go down in this new spot. He sat on the toboggan, pushed himself off with his hands, and went flying down the hill. A little over halfway down he suddenly hit an unforeseen jump someone had created and went flying 5 or 6 feet in the air. He came crashing down on his butt/lower back and laid still for a few minutes. At first when we called down to see if he was ok, he said he was. After a few minutes, he didn't get up though and I ran down the hill as fast as I could.

To make a long story short, Kurt could walk but he was in an incredible amount of pain. I took him to the ER and our friends went home. We spent about 2 1/2 hours in the hospital, wondering if he had broken his back or done worse injury. I called my parents, his mom, and his best friend James (whom I asked to come give Kurt a blessing as soon as he could). Kurt was in a lot of pain and the morphine they gave him in the iv didn't help much. But after a cat scan and a lot more waiting, we were told there was no bone damage. He had not broken his back. I was able to take him home, where James and a friend of his met us to give Kurt a blessing. After they left I went to the pharmacy for the prescribed pain pills and muscle relaxer. Kurt slept pretty well and the loratab is working, though he's still in an pretty good deal of pain.

So there was only soft tissue damage, but they couldn't ascertain how much at the hospital. They referred Kurt off-site to a specialist in Orem, who will be able to tell Kurt how much damage there was and whether it was only muscles or if it included ligaments and cartilage too. I'm just thankful he didn't break his back or damage his spinal cord.

Anyways. Just thought I'd let everyone know. Oh, and never go sledding at Rock Canyon Park (when we left the hospital there was one guy there with a concussion and another with a broken arm--both from sledding at Rock Canyon Park).

4 comments:

Megan and Jonny said...

I guess there's a reason Kurt and James are best friends. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything extremely serious. And I think it's awesome that you got to meet Hilary. She's one of my favorite people in the world. So what are you doing with your life now, anyway?

Kristina said...

Yeah, it's funny that both are invalids now because before his accident, James signed him and Camille and me and Kurt up for a free snowboarding day, which was this last Saturday. Well, first James got hurt, but it was still gonna be me, Kurt, and Camille, but of course then Kurt got hurt the night before. So Camille and I both had a great day of free snowboarding while the boys stayed at my apartment and played Wii and watched movies all day, unable to leave the apartment cuz neither could drive. It was funny.

I am working full time at the place where James used to work. I worked here last semester as a secretary and I was planning on doing that full time this year until James and the other accountant, and the other secretary all quit. So now I'm the accountant slash front office manager! It's kinda crazy how it turned out, but hey I'm cool with it!

How do you like the wonderful east coast?? :D

Alisse Baldwin said...

Awww, poor Kurty Pooh. I totally cringed at the thought of coming down on rock hard ice... remember my last day of my snowboarding class at BYU? Kind of the same experience as Kurt's, except I landed on my side/shoulder. I hope he heals soon!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, we are so sorry to hear about the accident. I can't believe how high he got in the air before crashing down on the ice. That is so sad to hear, but glad to hear nothing is broken. What a scare!