Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Angel's Landing

For Memorial Day weekend, we were invited by our friends the Wilcox's to go down to Vegas with them. So, of course we went! On the way down, we stopped in Zion's National Park to do a little camping and hiking.


We found this super cute, retro-style diner in Cedar City called Hermie's Diner. It had really good burgers!


Is this not the most beautiful poster you've ever seen? Oh yeah baby!


The next morning we all dragged ourselves out of our sleeping bags after an adventurous night filled with late-night tent set up, rain, and Bentley (the Wilcox's maltese) walking all over our faces. We headed over to the park and hopped on the tram. It was at this point that we learned that Bentley was not supposed to be accompanying us. Whoopsie...


So excited to hike Angel's Landing!


Here I am proving that I will still kiss Kurt, even with that horrible mustache he grew as a "scientific experiment." Don't worry, it's gone now.


Here is the entrance bridge to our hike. We thought it looked picturesque.


Seeing as how we weren't supposed to have dogs on the trail, we squashed Bentley into Allison's bookbag. So we weren't breaking any rules, because he wasn't technically on the trail. Still, we hid him whenever we saw park employees.


See the big cliff over Kurt's right shoulder? Yeah, we're about to hike that.


It was so amazingly green! Especially for Utah and even more especially for Zion's, which is even more of a desert than northern Utah. And all that red rock made a really cool contrast.


We found a fun little cave! This cave later, on the way down, saved us from about a half hour of hail. It's a place very near and dear to our hearts.


Girl power!


So as you'll notice, from my plethora of peace signs, I was feeling very Japanese-y that day. Allison is very afraid of heights, hence why she's crouching in the picture. But she made it all the way to the top and it's so high and narrow that it made me nervous!


Kurt's artistic photos of the chains. Since it's such a steep and narrow hike, they have chains for you to hold.


Pausing for a break about ten minutes from the top.


We made it! It's a gorgeous view. A very fun hike, not too hard at all (and I have asthma!) and the pay off is great. Plus, you burn oodles of calories, which is a beautiful thing.


Allison and I were triumphant at our daring feat. Even Bentley got nervous from his safe little spot in the bookbag!


On the way down the boys found some rocks to play on. Typical.


I swear I was born in the wrong country.


The cave we found earlier had some fun holes. (That sounds really weird.)




At last, we finished! We were pretty wiped, especially after hiking down in the cold rain (after the hail ceased). Like my sexy poncho? It's a new trend I was setting.

Next up, the city of sin ... or, if you're mormon, just staying up really late.

4 comments:

Michelle C said...

Looks like fun you adventurous(sp) couple. Fun pics.

MelancholySmile said...

Love the poncho! :) Looks like a great hike- it gave me flashbacks to when Jared & I went on a Vespa Rally in Moab. Very beautiful. And what is it with newlywed mormon men growing facial hair? Mine did it, and nearly every newlywed man I know has done it. It's like a rite of passage or something. :)

Sarah said...

Zion's NP is such a fun trip. Jeff and I hiked Angel's Landing last April and it was beautiful. Stinks that it was raining and wet. Oh and the picture of little Bentley in Kurt's backpack cracks me up!!

Jill and Paul said...

im SO glad (for you) that the "stache" is gone! eeewwwww!