Friday, September 19, 2008

Life and all of its complexities

We've been in Denver for a week so far. We love it to so far. I am ridiculously happy every time we venture forth into the world... I really feel like this is the right place for us. Plus, Littleton has so many trees, how could you not be happy?
Kurt: Kurt had his first day of work on Tuesday. He was kinda looking forward to and kinda dreading it. He's not looking forward to working for the next 30 years of his life, but at the same time "it's what he's been preparing for for so long." So he's mostly happy. His commute takes him about 40 minutes on the Light Rail, which is just 80 extra minutes every day for him to read. He really likes his office--on Tuesday, his first day, they played video games, including DDR. The day before was a huge deadline, so they were celebrating, and just about everyone (50-something aged partners included) played DDR. On Fridays they have casual dress. He gets money for working out and we get all preventative health care free. So our $5800 deductible health insurance plan isn't so bad. PLUS, my TMJ disorder is covered automatically on our dental plan. Yay!!!
Me: Well, I'm back on the horse. The job hunt horse, that is. I sent out about 60 resumes before we moved, took a break, and now have sent about 20 more out there since Tuesday. I am so sick of searching for a job! Almost as sick of it as I am of searching for furniture. We have purchased a bed, which I will pick up after I get back from my trip to the South. Other than that, we're still perusing (or rather, I am) Craig's List for a couch and dresser. We're surrounded by boxes and we sit on our camp chairs. It's kind of frustrating, especially since everything we call on has already been purchased. And we're not being picky in the dresser department, really.
Back to the job hunt: I had an interview this morning. They set it up with me yesterday and gave me the address and told me it would come up on MapQuest or something similar. So this morning, I google text the directions and head off. First, I have to stop at Kinko's to print out my resume. After finally finding the Kinko's, I realized that it was on the other side of the street I was driving on and I couldn't cross the street there--or for the next mile--because of construction. So that puts me back. Then, the lady decided to draw me a map instead of printing my document when I asked how to get to the belt loop. Then, I get in the car and realize my gas tank is nearly empty. I decide that I should just get gas and not chance it, but wouldn't you know that the only gas station is across the street from where I was. Trying to get out of the station, I hit a red. Then I hit the next red. Then the next. Finally I get on the interstate. Everything goes well until I get off and I start hitting every. dang. red. light. again. I was supposed to get to my interview at 9:45. When I finally pull onto the street my interview is supposed to be on, it's 10:05. I look around and see only houses. I am in a neighborhood. I am surrounded by neighborhood. I have the wrong directions, yet again, from Google. So I text Kurt and he texts back asking if I want him to look up correct directions online and text them to me. At this point, I figure that the job was probably not meant to be and tell him no. I mean, everything that could've gone wrong, did. So I didn't sweat it. I had another job interview type meeting today with a staffing agency that has a couple of opportunities, so I'm feeling good about that.
Oh, and everyone in Denver smokes. I thought the west was more conscious about that? Guess not.
But we're glad to be here! We discovered the library and Kurt checked out about a dozen books and videos on mountaineering, hiking, climbing, and Mt. Everest. I got Peace Like a River, just in time for my trip to Atlanta to visit Steph while Kurt's gone for 2 weeks for training. I'll finish our Cali posts within the next few days.

1 comment:

Kim said...

hey there! :) It was so fun to have you over for the the byu game. And I'm so glad we have other bleeding blue cougar fans to PARTY with! When Kurt gets back we need to have some serious fun.