Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Denver, so far

1. I still get really confused by the mountains being to the West. That really throws me off.

2. Speed limits are WAY slow here. If Denver was transplanted into Utah, then every speed limit would be at least 10 mph faster.

3. I really like the fall here, especially since it's snowing up in the mountains but it's still in the 50s down here.

4. It's pretty hilly here. I like that.

5. My neighbors are crazy.

6. The other day a client asked for some coffee. I didn't know how to get it for her. Turns out, all I had to do was pour it.

7. My calling is Activity Days leader and it's really fun so far.

8. Everyone here smokes. Even the babies.

9. Okay, not the babies. But they'll probably start soon.

10. Have I mentioned my crazy neighbors? Let me tell you about the craziest. We'll call her Tabitha. Tabitha, I believe, is in her late thirties, early forties. She looks 65. I'm thinking she is either currently or used to be addicted to meth. Tabitha doesn't work, that I've noticed. She stands at her screen door all day, (I'm convinced) waiting for me to come up the stairs. She can't remember my name and calls me Girlie Girl. That's right, Girlie Girl. One time I was changing the tire on our car, and she was out there chatting with me. After a minute she asked to use my phone. I let her. But first, I had to dial the number. She gets on the phone and starts yelling at whoever's on the other line, telling them to stop calling her neighbors and wait until she calls them. Great, I think, now this person's going to call me. After a 5 minute yell match, she says, "okay, love you," and hangs up. Later that day, she came over and asked to borrow it again. After a repeat of her earlier conversation, she starts telling me how it's her husband who moved back to Cali to live with his parents. Tabitha lives with a man, who I thought was her husband but now I'm thinking is her brother. This guy, we'll him Mike, seems to be mentally handicapped. I don't think he showers much. But he's really nice and seems harmless. Tabitha's husband, or whoever, has called me twice now. I've only answered once, at which point I told him to never call me again. Tabitha has about 3 teeth. She recently told us she was going to rehab, but the next day she was in her doorway again, smoking her cigarette and watching me leave for work.

11. The rest of our neighbors just really like smoking and getting drunk out in the courtyard every day. They're really nice but we've learned not to let them help us move heavy furniture after 8 pm.

12. Everyone in my office at work is really nice. Too bad I'm still not an official employee. (Long story.)

13. Google maps REALLY doesn't know Denver at all. I can't even say how many times it's gotten me lost now.

14. Kurt is growing a mustache for charity.

15. I really love Denver. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are off to a great start! Proud of you, we are!

Megan and Jonny said...

Tabitha brought back some awesome memories of the crazy lady who lived by me at BYU. She'd ask to borrow Jon's phone and then set up drug drop-offs. Fabulous.

How long until you're thinking about buying a place (and leaving all the crazy neighbors behind)?