Today, I have learned what it's like to lose friends because of your belief. I have been actively supporting Prop 8 on facebook for the last week. Most of my gay friends have engaged me in civil discussions, the conclusion of which have not altered our friendships. Today, one friend did differently. They accused me of being discriminatory and hateful.
I cannot change my beliefs to be convenient for my friends. I have to protect myself, my family, and my religion. I know now that sometimes that comes at a cost.
I'm sure this will not be the last time in my life.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thank you for standing up for what you believe in... the world would be a better place if more people were brave enough to do just that.
I applaud you for standing up for your convictions, that takes a lot of courage. I remembered this quote by President Packer today and thought you might find comfort in it:
"If you feel alone, remember there are millions of you in the Church now. Tens of thousands of you at this moment serve missions. You are a visible example, a testimony of the Restoration, even to those who will not listen to your message. Wherever you are—in school, at work or play, in the military—you are never alone.
"Now words can be used as weapons against you. If they throw the word diversity at you, grab hold of it and say, “I am already diverse, and I intend to stay diverse.” If the word is tolerance, grab that one, too, saying, “I expect you to be tolerant of my lifestyle—obedience, integrity, abstinence, repentance.” If the word is choice, tell them you choose good, old-fashioned morality. You choose to be a worthy husband or wife, a worthy parent."
Here is the whole talk if you would like to read it: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=c291ee9ba42fe010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
AMEN! Well said. People are saying we're haters. I say, What about morals? We DO have to take a stand. So keep taking it.
It happens. Be cool and let the guide. It may cost some pain, but it will prove out.
Proud of you, bloggiegirl.
Post a Comment