Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Life has Peaked

Ok, not really because that would be sad, but seriously... last night was the greatest concert I've ever been to.
I was seriously excited all day. Wait, no, like all week. The night before the concert I was jumping around our apartment chanting in a sing-song voice, "Coldplay! Coldplay!" and making up songs about how we were seeing them. Have I mentioned I've waited 8 years to see them? Because I have.
Then, all day Friday at work, every time I thought about it, I'd get a huge smile on my face. I've been listening to Coldplay pretty much constantly the whole week (with random bouts of Christmas music and Wicked when I needed a break). Last night I rushed home, changed, grabbed camera and tickets, and hopped on the Light Rail to meet Kurt at his office. We ate dinner at Chipotle and then dropped by his office to by off some things we didn't feel like hauling to the Pepsi Center.

The picture taking commenced. Oh yeah, and Kurt's growing his mustache for chartiy.
We got to the Pepsi Center and got down to our seats on the floor.

Pictures with tickets! And apparently matching jackets...

The first openers, Sleeper Car. I actually really like them. Cool sound.

My first Coldplay shirt. After the concert finished I exchanged it for a butterfly shirt... you'll see why later.

The second opening ... uh... act. Jon Hopkins. It was weird. No, disturbing. Some dude was mixing techno-y tunes which were pretty cool but it was accompanied by some seriously wacked out animations. The screen at this point showed an elephant walking backwards and forwards. I mean, really weird, kinda disturbing stuff.

Kurt's opinion of Jon Hopkins.

Coldplay should be on soon!

I was really excited. There's my big grin I had on all day. Have I ever mentioned how much I love concerts?
Finally, the lights dimmed, and we heard a familiar tune....
[video forthcoming]
Coldplay! An amazing show. They played over 20 songs (I've counted 22 so far...), which was over an hour and a half. They had all kinds of cool effects and the lights were really awesome. They have awesome energy on stage and work with the audience really well. I realized during the concert that Kurt and I have very different concert personalities: I am the sing along to every word, dance, yell, clap, dance a lot more, sing even the ooooo's and lalalala's, while Kurt listens and sings every now and then. We probably looked quite the opposite couple there. But we both had equally great times.
So now, a bunch of pics and even more videos because our camera takes better quality video in less-than-perfect lighting than pictures. So, enjoy! (You can usually hear me singing in the videos. I told you, I'm a crazy concert audience member.




That would be Chris Martin as the band passes 20 feet away from us to go play in the back of the auditorium for a bit.

Playing in the back. The guys in the box behind them kept taking pictures. It was kinda funny.

Hundreds of paper butterflies falling from the ceiling as they played Lovers in Japan. That's why I switched the butterfly shirt. :D

Butterflies again. They did them about three times. They then played Death and All His Friends and left the stage ... not having played Yellow yet!!! I knew they'd come on for an encore but I was hoping and hoping they'd play Yellow because honestly, it's my favorite song! They came back out, talked about how Chris Martin's pants had ripped and now they'd taped them together. He then played a chord, then stopped and talked again, but I knew. I knew that was the very first chord in Yellow. And then they played it. My night was complete.

So our internet is being slow and not uploading any videos. They are forthcoming.

5 comments:

Bryce said...

Love it...I flew to SLC to see them tonight and can hardly wait for the concert (not to mention the BYU/Utah game and James Bond). By the way, I absolutely love Kurt's stache. I think it is a keeper.

Alisse Baldwin said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so so happy that you got to see Coldplay- you can die happy now, right? Oh wait, after you get your puppy... and have a few kids.

YAY! You're 24! That's like almost half of 50! But not really.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK!

Mel said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you could go to the concert. Some day I'd like to take Greg. I love their music. And I don't love Kurt's stach. I don't know that I could even let Greg do that for charity. I'm glad the concert turned out fun though.

Bridal, Prom, and Maids said...

Thought this was funny. After reading your blog I found this on a local photographer's blog:

http://rebekahwestover.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-coldplay.html

MelancholySmile said...

We had so much fun at the concert! But I'm glad I didn't read your post before we went-- it was great to be surprised by everything. Jared and I had just been saying that after seeing them so many times {including the amazing time in a tiny club- front row, have his guitar pick, brag, brag, brag} we couldn't possibly top those early experiences, but then they pull out a concert like that! The butterflies? Seriously cool. {That opening band or whatever? Seriously not so cool.} I've never seen anyone project inside globe lights like that, and preforming within the crowd was so unexpected. *sigh* Gotta love Coldplay. :)