Saturday, November 1, 2008

Our Halloween

I'll be honest, as far as Halloween goes, ours sucked. As far as a normal Friday night goes, it was pretty good.
On Thursday night I tried to make Halloween cinnamon rolls (cinnamon rolls with orange-dyed cream cheese frosting) but I learned that if I try to make cinnamon rolls late at night I forget important step. Like letting them rise one last time before they go in the oven. So they didn't turn out.
No one in my office did anything. It was kinda sad. I sensed that they wouldn't, and so I didn't dress up.
When I get home from work, I looked online to find a haunted corn maze in Denver. Ummm, there aren't any. How un-festive is that?
Then, when Kurt got home from work early, we tried to make Thai food with the bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, and Thai peanut and Phad Thai sauces we bought at Target, and some Asian noodles and chicken we already had. The result? I had a bowl of cereal after my one bowl of attempted Thai food. Note to everyone: bamboo shoots smell like urine, and Phad Thai sauces with fish sauce in them taste like butt.
Then, we watched The Office's latest episode very good. Then, we ventured out to find ice cream.
We went to Cold Stone for our favorite, Oatmeal Cookie Batter. They don't do that flavor of ice cream here in Colorado. Not at any Cold Stone in Denver, at least. Instead, I got an ice cream cone from MacDonald's.
Then we came home and I cried. I was feeling all sad because we basically don't have any friends here (read: I don't have any friends here), and I love Halloween and was all excited for it and it sucked. It was the most unHalloween ever. And we got at home just as the LOL Halloween Show was starting, which made me all kinds of sad. I miss LOL. A whole freaking lot. Which got me thinking to other things in Provo that are great, and I got really homesick for Provo. That's right, you heard me. I miss Provo.
Thank goodness for Kurt. He cheered me up. Then we watched a few episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (our new favorite tv show) and went to bed. By the time we went to bed, I was feeling better, but it was still a subpar Halloween.
Anyhow, I want y'all to keep your Halloween posts coming cuz I'm loving all of the costumes and great stories. :D And I know Thanksgiving is going to be WAY better, because we're probably gonna go down to Moab. :D

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my gosh, I can totally identify with you! When we lived in Alaska, NO ONE dressed up (probably because its so miserably cold), there aren't any haunted houses, spook alleys, corn mazes, NOTHING! Even at my work, I was the only one who brought a big bowl of candy to share. Everyone just acted like it was just another day. It was so incredibly frustrating and disappointing. I know exactly how you must've felt! Hey but I read that you are going to Coldplay in a few weeks...how fun is that! I hope you have a blast!

Unknown said...

so sorry my dear.

there's a corn maze over by chatfield reservoir. it's by the chatfield arboreteum. i;m sure it's still open. i'm sorry you haven't made friends yet. that's way hard...sometimes you don't realize how much you miss friends until it hits you all at once. we girls are like that. but, you will find friends for sure! just go to all the ward activities you can.

good luck. sorry your halloween sucked. we didn't celebrate either. nobody does halloween over here. lame-o.

Megan and Jonny said...

Yeah, our actual Halloween sucked, too. We had maybe 20 kids show up at the door even though we had tons of candy, all our lights on, and our pumpkin sitting on the porch. Guess all the families on our block took their kids to a better neighborhood for trick or treating. Lame wads.

Are there any young couples without kids in your ward? That was our friendship staple for a long time. Now we're officially in the young couples with new babies phase (which means we complain about how sleep deprived we all are and then go home at 8 pm).

The Starter House said...

OR GO to the LASALLE Corn maze (FRIZTER'S Corn Maze) I went there every fall during high school! It is so spooky and quite amazing as corn mazes go! Yes, I'm coming to greeley on the 3rd of DEC.!!! My bro's homecoming!!! I will leave on the 8th...Maybe we can meet up and go shopping or somethin' love ya!