Our anniversary is actually next week but this weekend is going to be fairly crazy (that is, if we actually close on time), so Kurt booked it a week early. Plus, we still got off-season rates and a no-night minimum. :D So on Sunday we dropped Zumi off at Jen and Evan's and headed up to Estes Park to stay here:
We stayed in a cute little private cabin right on this river. On Sunday we: ate pizza, took a nap, soaked in the hot tub, ate ice cream, watched a movie, ate more ice cream and pizza, watched another movie, went to bed late. It was so rejuvenating! I seriously have so much more energy this week. We really needed to recharge our batteries (especially Kurt). Monday morning we woke up around 8:30 and I, of course, jumped back in the hot tub.
Because that's how I roll.
(PS--I learned that when you're pregnant you can't sit in hot water. WHAT?! I'll never be able to survive 9 months without a single bath or hot tub session, especially in the winter. My children better appreciate this sacrifice...)
We packed up and, after a little "detour" got to Rocky Mountain Park for some hiking. The original hike we planned on doing was completely snow blocked, so we found another one, a little shorter, that didn't go quite as high.
My husband, Tupac.
The hike took us past 4 gorgeous mountain lakes. The trail was completely snow packed. It ended up only being 6 miles round trip, but in the snow that is tiring! And especially at about 9500 feet.
Lake #1. This picture is so gorgeous. And I had to ruin it by sticking my tongue out.
Yes, I was feeling the ugly faces that day. And now you are too.
Here's a rock overlooking Lake #2.
There's Lake #2. (These lakes had names, but don't ask me what they were.)
Action shot!
Running in the snow...
is harder than it looks.
Our destination, Lake #3! It was incredibly--completely frozen over, tons of snow, all this white and the blue, blue sky. Definitely worth the crispy sunburns we incurred that day (hasty packing=forgetting sunscreen).
A pretty view of the mountains from the road. Obviously.
Next, we headed down to Boulder for delicious, dirty Mexican food that burned our taste buds off. Spicy=yum. We started to head home, but decided our anniversary fun-time wasn't over yet. So we headed to Golden. Golden is a cool town. We want to live there one day, except it's too far of a commute downtown and the only real place to work is the Coors brewery. But we will make it work.
There's this river that runs through town that is, seriously, like the beach. Everyone was hanging out! Kayakers, high school kids, families. There was even a sandy mini-beach. I now want to take up kayaking.
I still can't believe we're coming up on our 2nd anniversary. Not because I think that's an impressively long time, but just because it's zipped by. I mean, in the last year alone we've graduated, moved, bought a puppy, and we're buying a house. Crazy times. But amazingly good times. Because happiness really is being married to your best friend.

2 comments:
Awww. You are so cute. I love the line "my husband, Tupac." That was great. I'm trying to figure out why it wasn't cold hiking near all that snow and why you are running on the trail? Running on snow trails=torture in my book. But, you make it look easy. Props, XTina! Miss you guys!
that hike looks FANTASTIC. I really miss my hikes I did last summer.. (check them out on my blog - you'd LOVE them if you ever happen upon Alaska..) Kayaking would be a great time. I've never done it, but I've been interested in it. I think I'm just afraid of flipping over and getting stuck. Are you not?? Congrats on the 2 years!! :D I love mawaige. and hikes. and your blog!
Post a Comment