Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I can't stop crying

Tonight, my phone died while I was at a reading tonight. When I got back from to my dorm, I plugged in my phone and started getting ready for bed. Then I turned my phone on to see that I had 5 missed calls from a number in Denver that I didn't recognize. I also had a text from that same person. "Call me as soon as possible, I have your dog by the side of the road," it said. My breath caught in my throat and called the number. A man picked up and said, "I don't know how to tell you this," and I knew. The world seemed to rush in on me and the tears started falling before he said that Zumi had been hit by a car, and had died.
It's been a rough night, to say the least. I started crying and told the guy I was going to call my husband and give his number to Kurt so Kurt could get the body. Then I called Kurt on his cell and work line without answers. So, hysterical, I called my family. When I finally got to Kurt, he was already on his way home from work and was able to call the guy and find out where Zumi was. Next time Kurt called, he had Zumi in his arms and was walking home. He was sobbing.
This is the first time, in the 3 and a half years that I've known Kurt, that he has cried. Kurt and I cried together on the phone as he found a box for Zumi's "casket," laid him in it, and tucked his blanket in around him. We decided to bury him in his favorite spot in the yard, right by the wooden fence, where he'd like to lay when it was sunny.
To those of you who think I'm being dramatic, let me tell you that you have no idea how much you can love a pet until they die. And remember, Zumi was our child, for all intensive purposes. We don't have kids yet and so he was who we gave our parental love to. (I told Kurt that I hope we never lose a child, if it's this painful to just lose a pet.) He was a sweet puppy, the best natured dog I've ever known. When I got home from work, he'd always be in the back yard, hopping around, ready to play with me. When I mentioned the word "walk," he'd run to the front door, too excited to go out to sit still long enough to get his harness on. He could sit, lay down, army crawl, shake, and jump/twirl for tricks. He always had some sort of smile on his face. When he was in a really playful mood, it was a happy grin. When he was more calm, it was a mischievous smirk. He rarely barked. He followed you around and sat at your feet, happy to be near you. He had a spot in the kitchen where he laid while I cooked dinner or cleaned the dishes. I was so looking forward to him keeping me company during the long, lonely, busy tax season. When I took him to the vet, and he got scared, he'd lean up against me for comfort. He was my little buddy, my happy boy, my puppys, my Zoomers, Zoom buggy, Zumy do, Zumba, Zoom, my Zumi.



















It's amazing how much a small dog can touch your life in 8 shorts months.

11 comments:

Magga said...

christina and kurt. i am so sad right now. i can see how much you loved zumi and im so sorry he's not with you anymore. he really is the sweetest happy looking dog. although i know it will take time, i hope yall are doing ok

Megan and Jonny said...

Kris,

I am so sorry for your loss. When our 16 year old cat died I cried for days, and he was old and sick. I can't imagine losing a pet out of the blue like that. At least you know that Zumi had an incredibly happy life with you. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

We are so heartbroken. Zumi filled our house with such happiness during Christmas, even though he spend much time avoiding the G'boys for defensive purposes. He did not bark once in two weeks!! I wish I could make it not so...and so sorry you are in Spartanburg and Kurt had to retrieve Zooms and bury him alone. I have cried a thousand tears for your sorrow. He was a wonderful dog and we will miss him in our family for a long time.

Debbie said...

You are not being dramatic at all. I completely consider pets as part of the family. They just have that unconditional love and happiness that always brings a smile to your face. I am so sorry Kristina and Kurt. You guys will continue to be in my prayers.

Humphries said...

Kurt and Kristina I am so very sorry for your loss. You are not being dramatic at all, the loss of a pet is hard and you should grieve the way that you need to. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

jeff said...

This is terrible. Especially since you were away when it happened. Cry as much as you need to.

Kurt said...

What a great tribute to our Zumi. Thanks for writing this beautiful post. Although it made me cry to read it, it also reminds me of all the happy times we had with him. Thanks to everyone for your love and support through these hard times. It means a lot Kristina and I.

The Starter House said...

Oh wow...this hurts my heart. What a shock! I've loved reading your posts about zumi, what a sweet little guy! I hope you're hanging in there. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Kurt is right, what a sweet tribute to your little guy.

Jennifer Bergam said...

I am so sad for you guys. I couldn't stop crying when reading about Zumi. Ever since I heard about Zumi a few days ago I have been praying for the both of you.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry. I'm at work and decided I needed to catch up on a couple blogs. A co-worker walked over while I was reading this post and found me crying. I'm so sorry to read this. What awful news. Reminds me of how much I loved and miss my childhood golden retriever and when my parents told me he was put to sleep. Absolutely crushed me. We're thinking of you.

Jayci said...

Kristina .... I read your above post and read, 'I still miss him to pieces' and I was pushing down the awful thought that something bad had happened to little Zumsters.. I'm SOOO SAD for you.. I have no words.

I loved comparing the cute little quirks of our pups together.. If something happened to Buckwheat I would be hysterical. I don't blame you one bit for being "dramatic" as you said; I don't think you were.. You are so sweet to have loved him so much. He really was a charmer. I hope it has gotten easier.. I'm so so soo sorry.