Sunday, July 24, 2011

White Water Adventures

For July 4th, we went white water rafting. It was a spontaneous decision. On Friday the 1st I was sitting at home, minding my business. Kurt comes home and says, "Do you want to go rafting for the 4th?" I said sure! But I didn't think there would be an reservations available. Well, there were. And we had a blast! I love me some white water rafting--I went a lot in high school for girls camp but haven't done it since 2003. We did the Arkansas river in Big Horn Sheep canyon. We wanted to run it through Royal Gorge, but the water was too high and no companies were running through there yet. Not normal for that time of yeah. We had crazy amounts of snow in the mountains this winter. It equalled an awesome boarding season, and now an awesome rafting season. The canyon was about 2.5 hours from us, so we woke up good and early on the 4th and drove down. We stopped in Colorado Springs for breakfast at this joint downtown called The King's Chef. My breakfast sandwich was large, in charge, and uber delicious. Then we rafted all day! Actually, we ran it in 4 hours because the water was so high and so fast. The morning was pretty tame--the biggest we hit were a couple of 3's at the end. The afternoon was completely different. All big 3s and 4s, almost non stop. We nearly flipped a few times, but luckily we made it through without even losing anyone (although Kurt came close a few times). Then we drove home the long way, through the mountains, and saw parts of the state we've never seen before--Salida, Buena Vista and the collegiate peaks, South Park (which is seriously one of the prettiest spots in the state I've seen so far). Such an awesome day! Yay America! :)
 Looking lovely at 7 am.
 For reference, Kurt and I are on the right.

2 comments:

The Starter House said...

you are so pretty at 7 am! no lies, girl!

Jayci said...

holy muscles, Kristina!! I'd kill for arms like yours! And I'm lovin' captain underpants in the back. ha!! I showed the pictures to Mark and we are sooo wanting to rafting now! I love it! Talk about an adrenaline rush.