Not long after we moved into our house, I fell in love with the idea of white kitchen cabinets. I think part of the reason is because a) my mom has white cabinets and b) the current color of our cabinets didn't match the green walls very well. Now, normally I tend to stay away from decorating trends my mom uses in her own house. My mom has awesome taste but it's like, I want to be different! But white cabinets? They're just so classic. And white. And clean. And I lurve them.
Our friends James and Camille lived with us for about a month and a half after they moved to Denver, while waiting to close on their house. While they were living here, I decided it was time to paint the cabinets. And then Camille was AWESOME and volunteered to paint them. And then, the day we were to begin painting, a huge snowstorm hit. I like to call it an Octizzard, because it was the middle of October and we had over two feet of snow. Craziness!
So how do you paint kitchen cabinets when there's so much snow outside that your dog gets lost in your own backyard? You get creative...
We laid the doors out on a tarp in the laundry room to paint them. Then, to keep them off the tarp so paint wouldn't pool, we set them on tupperwares. It worked pretty well. We did sand the cabinets--doors and boxes (we haven't painted the inside of the boxes yet... should probably get on that), but learned about a year later that we DIDN'T NEED TO. What?! Thanks to an awesome primer called Gripper. Grrr. Wish I would've known that! But, all of that dust (that our sander did not catch) just prepared us for the dust we've been living with the last few months.
Small house? Just put your drawers on the countertops!
It was a painful process (and I did help Camille after all because I didn't have to work for two days since I couldn't get out of the driveway). But after two days of solid work and MarioKart playing, it was done! And SO worth it. I liked my kitchen before. Now I LOVED it. Also, you can see I put up some fruit pictures on the wall (from Ikea for $5 for all of them and then the frames were like $3 each, I think, from Target).
Don't you just love it? The white and green=LOVE. I'm pretty sure if you looked up in the dictionary, that's what it would say.
But I still wasn't content ... ;)
(Date: October 2009)

2 comments:
I am loving the suspense!! ;) looks fantastic- I'm so excited to see more.
Wow, loving the white. Also... love the new header graphic!
Post a Comment